Our Lady of Consolation Parish had its beginnings in the 1860s when Father Edward Vattman visited Carey weekly from Saint Michael’s in Findlay. In 1868 when the parish was formally established, it was named Saint Edward’s. Father Joseph P. Gloden, a native of Luxemburg and Carey’s third pastor, arranged to change the name to Our Lady of Consolation in honor of the patron Saint of Luxemburg. When Father Gloden was able to acquire a replica of the statue of Our Lady of Consolation from the cathedral in Luxemburg City in 1875, and following the miraculous procession with the statue from Frenchtown to Carey on May 24 that year, Our Lady of Consolation became a popular Marian shrine drawing pilgrims from many locations. See www.olcshrine.com. The parish of Our Lady of Consolation continues as a parish with 1200 registered families, a variety of ministries and a Catholic school serving the village of Carey and surrounding communities in Wyandot County. We are part of the Deanery of Saint Francis of Assisi in the Diocese of Toledo www.toledodiocese.org. The parish has been served by the Conventual Franciscans since 1912, www.franciscansusa.org.
Get your parish bulletin online
New website to get our parish bulletin! http://discovermass.com/church/our-lady-of-consolation-carey-oh/